Even the strongest pregnancy cravings cannot prepare a mother for the wicked “HANGER” to come once breastfeeding commences. A breastfeeding mom needs to be snacking constantly. Your hormones are busy recalibrating as your body adjusts to the increasing workload of making milk. Though you only really need 300 additional calories, you’ll find you have little time for the full course meals of old. Constant grazing suits most moms better.
It sounds crazy, but when you’re nursing babies, you honestly forget to eat if it’s not right there, in your face. My body would remind me with sudden, ravenous hunger pangs, especially when I was nursing my second baby and the first wanted a drink, too. I found it helpful to keep a basket of snacks (that didn't require refrigeration) next to the glider chair at all times.
(A breastfeeding snack basket makes a great, thoughtful gift for new moms, too!)
What Makes a Good "Breastfeeding Snack?
“The best breastfeeding snacks” means different things for different moms. This may include:
- Quick and easy recipes for nursing moms – because you are frazzled and don’t have the time!
- Protein and carb combinations – for sustained energy, without the blood sugar spikes.
- Lactation snacks – for moms who want to eat the right foods to boost their milk supply.
- Healthy snacks for nursing moms – to eat nutritious, organic, “REAL” foods beneficial for mom and baby.
- Nutrient-dense, low calorie – for breastfeeding snacks at night that satisfy your cravings
- Fruit and veggie snacks – to get in your recommended five to nine servings a day!
- Variety – because “healthy” shouldn’t be boring! Mix savory and sweet. Eat all the colors of the rainbow.
20 Quick, Easy Breastfeeding Snacks (That'll Satisfy You, Too!)
- Trail Mix Nuts & Vanilla Yogurt Blueberries
- Chocolate Soymilk & Mini Muffins (Bonus: older kids love frozen mini muffins too!)
- Yogurt & Granola
- Hummus & Celery
- Pitted Dates Stuffed With Walnut Halves & Peanut Butter
- Cherry Tomato & Mozzarella Basil Bites
- String Cheese & Carrots
- Apple Slices & Peanut Butter
- Banana & Pudding
- Milk & Protein Bars (Luna, Larabar, or Clif Bars)
- Dark Chocolate & Raspberries
- Hardboiled Eggs & Whole Grain Crackers
- Cottage Cheese & Pineapple
- Pretzels & Cheddar Cheese
- Homemade Oat/Nut Waffles (warm or cold)
- Chocolate Almond Milk & Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Milk N’ Cookies
- Popcorn (sprinkled with Brewer’s Yeast when your supply needs a boost!)
- Bagels With Cream Cheese
- For Meat Eaters: Tuna & Crackers Or Beef Jerky (Yes, there are healthy brands out there!)
In Addition to These Healthy Snacks for Breastfeeding, Don't Forget to Hydrate!
Nursing made me as parched as the Sahara Desert! It turns out, breastfeeding mothers need at least four more glasses of water on top of the usual eight to hydrate yourself and maintain a healthy milk supply. You can plan to drink a bottle of water with every breastfeeding session or you may opt to keep a 1-Liter water bottle handy. (If you drink 3 liters a day, you’ve met your daily H20 requirement.) Lemon water was a nice way to spritz things up! Additionally, experts have linked fennel tea to increased milk supply and volume.
Bonus: A Few Make-Ahead Snacks too Good Not to Include!
Okay, so the baby’s sleeping… and, as fate would have it, your body won’t let you nap. Sneak into the kitchen to try a few of our favorite quick and easy recipes for breastfeeding moms.
- Energy bites are a great way to get in a little sweet with your protein. This lactogenic recipe includes all the goods – peanut butter, coconut, flax seed, vanilla, honey, chocolate, oatmeal, and Brewer’s Yeast! Or you could try this easy, 7-ingredient cookie bar recipe if you don’t need a boost in supply. OR combine 1.5 TBSP of nut butter, 3 TBSP of oats, ½ TBSP of honey, ½ TBSP of dark chocolate chips, and roll into a ball for 8 grams of protein you don’t even have to bake. These Lemon Energy Balls and Chocolate Peppermint Bites are easy to make in a big batch and freeze whenever you need a quick pick-me-up.
- Thirsty and hungry? Give your hubby the “pretty, pretty, please” eyes and get him to make this lactation-boosting Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake for a sublime treat. Serenity now! If you’re looking for something healthier and slightly less indulgent, you can try a Berry Breakfast Smoothie or energy-boosting Green Smoothie.
- Got time for a sandwich? Some of our Kindred Bravely wearing moms swear by Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Bread, topped with almond butter and honey if you’re feeling sweet. If you’re feeling salty, top with avocado, chopped tomatoes, egg, salt, pepper, and cayenne (for a little spice to your life!)
Hey, New Mom, We Want You To be Satiated -- And Comfortable! It's Not Too Much to Ask!
Now that you’ve planned your basket of easy breastfeeding snacks to have on hand, make sure you’ve got the right clothes for the marathon of breastfeeding to come! Our top-selling combination is the Seamless Sublime Nursing Bra paired with the Davy Nursing Pajamas. Kindred Bravely garments are made with smooth-as-chocolate material to give you a luxurious feeling whether you’re lounging, sleeping, or out-and-about. Breastfeeding access is so easy, you’ll be able to pop a breast out with one hand and feed yourself with the other. Enjoy!
Quick, easy breastfeeding snacks